Thursday, April 27, 2017

Blogaround

A small dog stands with its front feet on top of a pot. Also, for some reason, the dog is wearing a knitted hat that looks exactly like the pot. Image source.
1. Remembering Anarcha, Lucy, and Betsey: The Mothers of Modern Gynecology (posted February 7) "[The surgeries] were performed without anesthesia. There was a belief at the time that black people did not feel pain in the same way. They were not vulnerable to pain- especially black women."

2. After Columbine, martyrdom became a powerful fantasy for Christian teenagers (posted April 20) [content note: gun violence] "A teenager named Tina Leonard, Rosin reported, told a Southern Baptist news service that “God has laid it on my heart that I'm going to be martyred. When I told one of my friends, he said, 'That's awesome. I wish it could happen to me.’”"

3. I Underwent Genital Mutilation as a Child—Right Here in the United States (posted April 21) [content note: descriptions of assault and genital cutting of children]

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis